By Keelen Barlow
The varsity girls' soccer team will take on B&O Rotary Trail Bell and Hoosier Crossroads conference rival Avon tomorrow (Sept. 11.) The junior varsity matchup is set to kick off at 5:30 with varsity to follow.
The Bulldogs enter the week with a 3-2-2 record.
- Last week, the Bulldogs went 2-1, defeating 2A No. 1 Cathedral and Assumption (KY) by a score of 1-0 and falling to Brunswick (OH) 1-0
- Brownsburg's defense has been stout of late; the Bulldogs have allowed just two goals in their last five matches
- Since Aug. 29th, the Bulldogs are 3-1-1; they outscored their opponents 7-2 in those matchups
- Across 80 relief minutes between two matches at the Zionsville invite, goalkeeper Sara Budd did not allow a goal
- In the wins over Cathedral and Assumption, Taelyn Hendrickson and Lydia Emmert scored their first goals of the season for the Bulldogs
- Alanna Dixon's 21 saves this year currently ranks among the top five goalkeepers in the HCC
- The Bulldogs rank in the top half of the HCC in goals against
About the Orioles
Avon comes into the match with a 3-3-1 record after notching a pair of wins at the Zionsville Invite. The Orioles defeated 2A No. 7 Evansville Mater Dei 2-1 to open the invite and snap a four-game winless streak. They followed up that performance with a 3-0 win over Harrison.
The Orioles are 0-2 in HCC play after losses to Hamilton Southeastern and Noblesville earlier in the season. They have the second highest goals against total in the conference.
On the other side of the field, Amy Valazquez leads the Orioles with 4 goals through the team's first seven matches. She scored twice in Avon's win over the Raiders. Darci Bennett is close behind her with three goals this season.
The Orioles posted an 8-11-2 record last year and were crowned IHSAA Sectional 9 champions. They fell to Carmel in the Regional final.
Since 2010, Avon and Brownsburg have played nine times during the regular season. The Orioles lead the series during that stretch by a 6-3 margin. However, the Bulldogs have won the last two matchups between the conference rivals.
Brownsburg outscored Avon 7-3 over the last two regular season meetings.