By Keelen Barlow
The varsity girls' soccer team will play a pair of matches against out-of-state foes in the Zionsville Lady Eagle Invitational on Saturday (Sept. 7). The invite features 19 schools including four from Kentucky and three from Ohio. Six of the competing schools are currently ranked in the TopDrawerSoccer.com "Fall Fab 50 High School Soccer Team Rankings." Of the teams from Indiana, all but one is ranked in their respective classes' ISCA Girls Soccer Poll.
The Bulldogs will take on Assumption (KY) at 8 a.m. and will follow up with a match against Brunswick (OH) at 1:15 p.m.
Brownsburg is 2-1-2 coming into the weekend.
Lady Eagles Invitational Full Schedule: https://bit.ly/2m50mKF
- Brownsburg is coming off what head coach Josh George called their "most complete" win of the year. The Bulldogs beat 2A No. 1 Cathedral on Wednesday night (Sept. 4) behind Taelyn Hendrickson's goal in the 67th minute. That mark was her first of the 2019 season.
- Grace Crawford leads the Bulldogs in scoring through their first five matches with three goals; that number puts her among the top ten in the Hoosier Crossroads Conference
- Mallory Guy scored her first two varsity goals in the Bulldogs' 4-0 win over Mooresville on Aug. 29; she is currently second on the team in goals
- In her first complete-game shutout of the season, goalkeeper Alanna Dixon was stout against Cathedral; she came up with a huge save in the 78th minute to stop the Irish's one-on-one chance
- The Bulldogs split their two matchups at the 2018 Zionsville invite; they fell 2-1 to Sacred Heart (KY) and beat Sylvania Northview (OH) 2-0
About the Rockets
Assumption is coming off their first loss of the 2019 season, a 2-1 decision against South Oldham. The Rockets are 4-1-2 after winning their first three matches to open the season. Through seven matches, the Rockets have shutout three opponents and have a goals against average of 2.00. They are averaging nearly three and a half goals per game.
The Rockets boast several future collegiate soccer players on their 2019 roster.
Maddie Reed, a Xavier University commit, leads the Rockets defense. Sophomore Kendal Guzzardo is committed to play for the University of Cincinnati.
The Rockets posted a 16-6-4 record during the 2018 season and finished as the No. 6 team in the state of Kentucky by MaxPreps.com. They allowed just eight goals last year. That mark that was among the top twenty in the state of Kentucky.
About the Blue Devils
Brunswick comes into the Zionsville Invite with a 4-0-1 record on the year. The Blue Devils are ranked as the No. 25 team in the nation and the No. 6 team in the state of Ohio by TopDrawer Soccer.
The Blue Devils are coming off a dominating 6-0 win over Greater Cleveland Conference rival Mentor High School. Their leading scorer, Caylee Jozefov, notched a hat-trick performance in the win.
Brunswick has scored their goals in bunches this year with all but one of their matches featuring a performance of at least five goals. Jozefov, a University of Toledo commit, leads the Blue Devils with six goals this season. Alexa Mackey, an Indiana State commit, and Gigi Ricciardi both have four goals on the season.
In 2018, the Blue Devils notched an 11-2-4 record and fell in the OHSAA Akron District Semi-Final.