By Keelen Barlow
In their first Hoosier Crossroads conference match of the season, the girls' soccer team will host No. 1 Hamilton Southeastern on Wednesday (Aug. 28). The junior varsity match will kick off at 5:30 with varsity to follow.
About the Bulldogs
Brownsburg has played in just one match so far this season- a 2-2 draw with 3A No. 2 Brebeuf on Aug. 22. The Bulldogs trailed 2-0 with roughly 20 minutes to go and were able to muster a furious second-half comeback. Grace Crawford scored twice in the match including a 79th minute goal to tie the game. Courtney Kreilein and Mallory Guy notched the assists on Crawford's goals.
Brownsburg opened the season ranked 12th in the ISCA Preseason Coaches' Poll. They remained slotted in that spot in the second edition of the poll.
The Bulldogs are coming off a 12-5-1 campaign in 2018 and are led by duo Taelyn Hendrickson and Kylie Conrad. Hendrickson is coming off a 12-goal campaign in 2018 while Conrad played in all 18 matches and scored five goals as just a freshman last year.
About the Royals
Hamilton Southeastern comes into the match ranked No. 1 in Class 3A after the most recent ISCA Girls soccer coaches' poll. Following two wins at the St. Joseph invite, the Royals are 4-0 on the young season. HSE has allowed just a pair of goals on the year and is outscoring their opponents 28-2.
The Royals boast nine players who have scored a goal so far this year. Through four matches, junior Izzie Wallace leads HSE with 8 goals. She opened the 2019 campaign with a pair of hat tricks in dominating wins over Franklin Central and Warsaw. To round out their top three scorers, Molly Harris and Ashley Wilson have each scored four goals this year.
Brownsburg vs HSE: Tidbits
- In the 2018 regular season, HSE snuck past the Bulldogs with a 40th minute goal to win 3-2; Courtney Kreilein and Taelyn Hendrickson each scored for the Bulldogs
- Three of the last four matchups between the Bulldogs and the Royals have been decided by a single goal
- Brownsburg is 0-3-1 against HSE in regular season matchups since 2015
- The Bulldogs were 6-1-0 when playing at home in 2018; HSE posted a 4-0-1 record on the road last year
- Across the entire 2018 regular season, Brownsburg (50 goals) and HSE (51 goals) were the two highest goal-scoring teams in the Hoosier Crossroads conference